Thursday, 7 March 2013

Quiche for the WHOLE family...


If you are looking for a quiche recipe that will feed a family..this is it. This recipe fills out a 9x13, so it's great for lunch, and left overs...or if you are having the family over after church and need something that will feed a dozen people.

I made this because I looked at the clock and realized that I needed to have dinner ready in an hour, and thought that this would be a pretty complete meal in itself. The preparation is really straight forward, and the crust is incorporated into the mixture with a biscuit mix so there is no pastry making. I probably prefer the traditional quiche in a pastry crust and pie plate, but this is a great alternative.

Start by greasing your 9x13 and pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees.





In a large bowl

crack 6 eggs....add 3 cups of milk and 1 cup of (I used homemade) biscuit mix.


Next you're going to add your preferred ingredients....I used all veggies, but if you're using meat, make sure it's pre-cooked. Ham and Chicken are pretty popular choices. One of my favourite combinations is shredded chicken, feta, sun dried tomatoes, broccoli and pesto...make sure to throw in some grated mozzarella or Monterey jack would be nice also.

Here's what I used for this:

1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 cups marble cheese, grated
5 green onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups of asparagus (cut into 1" pieces), steamed
1/8 cup sun dried tomatoes thinly sliced
2 tsp dried parsley flakes
fresh ground black pepper (to taste)








 So then, it is time to bake...and as you can see - this recipe filled my 9x13 no problem. After 20 minutes at 350 I turned my pan around in my oven, and baked for an additional 20 minutes. The quiche was firm, and when a knife was inserted, it came out clean, so I knew it was cooked. You may need to leave it in a little longer to get these results.



Here is what the quiche looked like baked.... you'll want to let it rest for 10-15 minutes or so before serving so that it can set (don't worry, it will still be warm).  You don't have quiche falling off the sides of your spatula when you're serving this and trying to make a "good house wife" impression with your in-laws. 


This recipe can easily be cut in half and used in a 9x9 pan, just remember that you'll have to adjust your bake time accordingly. There are lots of options for ingredients too...just look online...ham, cheese and broccoli is a great and traditional combination, or maybe you want to try and make a pizza quiche to appeal to some younger members of your family (or adults who don't want to eat broccoli)...

This will freeze well if you make up a large recipe in advance and bake it off in smaller pans for another time. 


Good Luck! and get creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment