This is a vegetable casserole with traditional Ratatouille ingredients. This has a very fresh and mild flavour that we adults seem to like, but if your kids are like mine, will only want to pick out the red stuff and leave the rest behind. I remember watching Disney Pixars "Ratatouille" movie, and the kids being super eager to try some of what the rat made......Well, that was then, and now they can say that they've been there, done that...several times.
Here is how I did it:
I started off by pan frying 2 small to medium sized sliced red onion, and several minced cloves of garlic in some olive oil until they were tender.....
I spread them out on the bottom of a 9x13 then sliced and layered over the onion mixture rows of egg plant, zucchini, red pepper......then....egg plant, zucchini, tomato, alternately until the dish was full. I know it may look like a lot of work, but I sliced my vegies with a paring knife in row like in the photos that follow:
That way when you go to put them in the pan, you can just grab a handful and spread them out with the least amount of effort.
When I was finish my dish looked like this:
and I just put some salt and pepper over top, covered in tinfoil and baked at 350 for 45 minutes, or until all the vegies are tender. Of course, it doesn't look much different when it's finished baking. This dish will make you house smell awesome, and served with rice is certainly comfort food on a cold pre-winter day.
No comments:
Post a Comment